Version 2.0 of the firmware for the Fuji X-Pro1 is available for downloading now. This is a major update.
- 1.Improvement of Auto Focus Performance
- (1)Auto focusing speed has become much faster under a various shooting condition such as dark scenes, bright scenes and so on.
- (2)The shortest focusing distance without switching to macro mode has become shorter.
- 2.Improvement of Manual Focus Performance
- (1)The speed of images coming into focus when turning the focus ring has become faster.
- (2)When adjusting the focus with the EVF or the LCD, displaying live view with the minimum depth of field in full aperture has made it easier to focus on subjects.
- (3)In addition to the focus checking with the 10-time magnification function, the checking with “3-time” magnification function has been added.
- 3.Improvement of Writing and Processing Speed
- (1)Writing speed to a memory card has become faster with the maximum speed doubled.
<Note> The speed may vary depending on card type and sizes of images.
- (2)The waiting time of viewing image after shooting has become shorter.
- (3)An image will be displayed approx. one second after pressing the playback button.
- 4.Other improvements
- (1)The ISO setting of “Auto (6400)” has been added.
- (2)When EVF or OVF is used, the indicator lamp will turn off because the lamp comes to just in front of your right eye if you see the finder with your left eye.
- (3)When shooting in low light situation, a recorded image will look like more natural atmosphere you saw.
You can find the download here.
Don’t forget, you’ll also need to update the firmware for your lenses! You can find the link for the lens firmware (different file for each lens) just below the link for the camera firmware download.
I’ve just finished the set up on my camera and lenses. I’m probably not going out tonight but I did snap off a few quick pix in my room and the focusing does indeed seem faster (though still nowhere near as fast as, say, my Nikon D800). I tried shooting some dark objects in a dark corner of the room and there was no back-and-forth hunting on the focus.
I’ll take the camera out with me tomorrow so I’ll get a better idea of how much improvement there is then.
By the way, on Saturday I was at Sim City (the mostly-photography mall in Mong Kok) and I noticed that every used shop there had at least 1 Fuji X-Pro1 sitting there. I asked in one shop and the guy said that was due to people selling it off to get maximum $$$ prior to the new XE-1 coming out. Fine and dandy … though I noticed most of the shops had full sets of used X-mount lenses as well.
What I want to see is (a) the immediate improvement with the new firmware update and (b) comparative performance reviews of the X-Pro1 vs the X-E1 when it’s released. (I’d also like to see Adobe Camera Raw do a better job with Fuji’s RAW format than it’s currently doing.) The X-Pro1 is an amazing camera but so far it has also been amazingly frustrating for me and it’s very tempting to follow the crowd here and sell it off before the value drops with the release of the newer stuff.