More on the Sony NEX-7

I’m still waiting for a bit of sunny weather or a clear evening to go out and try some stuff.  (Well, the camera is with me every day when I go out, just that with this crappy weather I’m not venturing out much.)

One thing’s for sure is that I need to have more than just that 18-55 slow-ish zoom.  I’ve got the 16mm f2.8 pancake lens but since I’ll be selling off my NEX-5, I may need to include that as part of the package to get a half-way decent price.  But what lenses to get next?  The 18-200mm, which is no faster than my 18-55 but faster than the 55 to 200?  The 30mm, which has macro capabilities?  I’m thinking that it could be the 50mm because at maximum aperture of f1.8 it’s the fast E mount lens Sony is currently selling.

Here’s a roadmap for Sony E mount lenses, which I found here.

Another option might be to buy the Sony adapter that would let me use their A mount lenses on the camera.  Not sure if I want to go there or not.

By the way, the folks over at DxOMark have done their testing on the NEX-7 and you can check out some comparisons.  Here’s the Sony vs. Nikon’s J1 and V1 – no surprise that the Sony comes out the winner.  This one’s a surprise though – the Sony NEX-7 vs. Sony’s A65 and A77 – the NEX-7 beats them all – don’t they all have the same sensor?  Check out this one – Sony NEX-7 vs. Pentax K-5 vs. Nikon D7000 – the results are so close they’re probably statistically insignificant.

Here’s Sony’s

6 Comments

1. Eugene Kan February 13, 2012 at 7:16 am #

No consideration of legacy lenses?

M-mount offers you some pretty compact options while I’ve bought a few Minolta legacies and built an ok assortment for cheap for my NEX-5.

• spike February 13, 2012 at 7:34 am #

Eugene, I’m definitely open to suggestions though cost is an issue.

• Eugene Kan February 13, 2012 at 7:42 am #

M-mounts ALWAYS expensive however the legacy lenses from Minolta are pretty cheap. Wider ones are expensive but
        I purchased the following Minoltas
        -$175 USD shipped 24 mm f/2.8 for
        -$100 USD locally 50mm f/1.4
        -$20 USD shipped 135mm f/2.8 (hardly use it though)

Other stuff like 35mm f/2.8 is cheap like < $100 USD shipped off eBay I think.

They aren't the fastest but if you look for the Rokkor line it's all quite sharp.

A lot of reviews there.

• spike February 13, 2012 at 2:56 pm #

Thanks for the specific recommendations. Question: does autofocus work with these lenses?

• Eugene Kan February 13, 2012 at 4:16 pm #

No autofocus, but generally for walk around during the day with plenty of light (which you seem to like), you can set aperture at f8 or f11 and it’s a breeze to manual focus with focus peaking.

2. UII February 28, 2012 at 10:06 am #

That’s the problem with the NEX cameras. Almost NO lenses. And those available (other than the crappy 16mm) are HUGE! What’s the point of a slim, hard-to-hold body with coke cans sticking out of the front? You have a choice of big and slow, or big and expensive.

It starts to make more sense for use with M mount lenses, but the Ricoh M mount GXR module blows the NEX-5 out of the water:

I doubt the extra pixels on the NEX-7 will help here. The crux of the matter is that the Ricoh module has it’s micro-lenses specifically set up for M glass: